Thursday, February 25, 2010

Guatemala Part 7

Guatemala Part 7: The end is in sight

I think computer keyboards are a cottage industry in Guatemala. They are all different; I have not come across 2 that are the same. Boy, I really miss my apostrophe, my dashes, my quotation  marks, and so on.
  This morning I started to type my email. To get the “@” sign you must hit ALT 64. I did that and nada.    I tried again. Nada. I tried again while saying ABRACADABRA. Nada. Open Sesame did not work either. I finally asked the guy running the place, and he hit some magic key, and everything worked. Another time I tried to use the apostrophe, and the keyboard turned into the Korean keyboard.
A few days ago I had a key board where the “a” and “d” keys were reversed. When you hit the “a” key you got “d”, and vice versa. Slows down your typing I tell you.
I think the guys designing these boards are sexually repressed, and do not have a sex life. I hope so anyway, because we don’twant to pass on those genes.
On Friday morning I took a chicken bus to Solola. Friday is market day in Solola. What an unbelievable colourful sight.
Not nearly as tacky as the market in Antigua. You can buy just about anything. I even saw a guy selling rocks by the pound.


The costumes were also quite different. The men wear very colourful long pants, and they have what looks like a blanket wrapped around their waist. It almost looks like a short skirt. The older women braid their hair in an intricate manner. I can't imagine the time it takes to make these braids.
I sure hope the photos turn out.
I met with Ramon and friends on more time and we had a coffee together. Maia invited me to visit her if I get anywhere near where she lives in Spain. Maybe in September.


On the way back on the chicken bus to Pana I saw the most beautiful views of Lake Atitlan.
It is interesting. Every chicken bus I have been on is made by the Blue Bird Body Company in Georgia, USA. They are all school buses, decorated by their owners. No two are the same.
In all my travels through Guatemala, I have only seen a total of 3 speed limit signs. But they do not really need them, because they have killer speed bumps. If you go more than 10 klicks you do serious damage to your vehicle. They are not well marked, and I was always amazed how my drivers knew where they were, even in the dark.
The drive back to Antigua in a mini van was very pleasant. I even got to sit beside the driver.
In the evening I sat on my favourite bench, and discovered the virgins were turned on again. For those of you that missed this part. There is a fountain in the center of Antigua, that features 4 female figures, virgins of course. When the fountain is on water spurts from the nipples. I guess it is a male thing. Well last week the virgins were dry, but yesterday the water flowed again.
I really do not get this thing about virgins.
It is like those suicide bombers who blow themselves up and expect 72 virgins. I have been happily married for 42 years, and I must say it is not that easy to keep one woman happy. Multiply that by 72, and you are into serious labour.
And then there is the monthly bill for sanitary napkins. Brutal.
And since all these virgins are the same age, they will all hit menopause at the same time. Can you imagine living with 72 menopausal women. I can’t.
I don’t think the Muslims have thought this all the way through.
Well, with that happy thought I off to bed, no doubt having nightmares about 72 virgins.
Till tomorrow
Your Guatemalan Traveller.

No comments: