Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Peru.. ready or not, here I come

Thursday June 9
I flew to Peru yesterday, and the biggest excitement was waking up Wednesday morning in the middle of a storm, without power. Luckily I had packed and didn't have to do that at 5 am.
The flights were pleasant, the food very bad, but I landed in Lima at 9 pm, on time. Took a taxi to my hotel, and was in bed by 10:30.
Thursday Morning was not great.
First I had to find a bank for some cash. The first one didn't like me and didn't give me any cash. Luckily the second one, a Bank of Nova Scotia was more agreeable.
Breakfast was another let down. Instant coffee!!!!
I had researched what bus to take to Pisco, and had to take a taxi to the terminal. Each company has it's own terminal. Luckily the driver went in with me to buy the ticket. That's when I found out, that contrary what the Lonely Planet says this company does not provide several trips a day. Back in the taxi to try another one. Again no luck. Finally we lucked out with a third company, and that bus left 10 minutes after I got there.
The other problem was that the bus doesn't go into Pisco, but drops you off at the highway, 6 km from town.
The drive was also depressing. There is a constant coastal fog, and the drive is through a desert (next to the Pacific). It is a true desert, no greenery, mucho rocks and sand. In addition to that the poverty is staggering. I have seen a lot of shacks, but nothing as bad as the "villages" along this highway.
I visualized being dropped of in no-man's land.
As it turned out there was a buzzing business district ready to meet all the buses, and there were plenty of taxis.
Pisco was a pretty little town, until 2007, when it was hit with a major earthquake, and 70% of the town was leveled. Several hundred people were killed, 136 while at mass. It is still quite a mess.
My hotel has been rebuilt, and it is one of the nicest I have ever stayed at. Free wi- fi, breakfast, lovely room, all for 20 dollars.
Pisco is a nice little town. I had a great cerviche dinner, with a large beer. 10 bucks, including tip. I like it.

No comments: