Saturday, January 21, 2012

Jan. 21, 2012 Delhi, India

I have finally arrived in Delhi. I landed in the evening, and it was quite cool,damp, and foggy. The airport is only a couple of years old, and it is very modern.
Saturday started out foggy, but, by midmorning it was clear and sunny; a gorgeous day. I am actually very surprised that there isn't a lot of smog. The sun was beautiful today.
Delhi is a large city, and the main tourist sites are far apart. It would like trying to see the Science Center, the Toronto Zoo, and the CN Tower, all in one day. So, rather than trying to find my own way I hired a car, and guide for the day.
It was a worthwhile day and I saw some great sites.I took a lot of pictures!!
The traffic is pure chaos. The principle seems to that if you can get three cars across a road; that's what you do, even though there are only two lanes marked.
The other surprise is that they drive on the left. That makes crossing the road trickier for most of us. It is absolutely amazing that there aren't more accidents. I didn't see a single one today.
There are a lot of stray dogs. They are everywhere. I only saw one cat. Maybe thee is a correlation between those two facts.
All in all so far so good.

No comments: