Sunday, February 12, 2012

Feb 12 still in Jodhpur

This is turning into a real holiday, very relaxed and comfortable.
I had originally planned to take a bus to Udaipur today, but my landlady told me the buses that go there are not very uncomfortable. I happen to be sitting with a French couple who were also going to Udaipur, but not till Monday. I decided to stay here another day, and we will share a car to Udaipur on Monday.
Mornings here have been lovely. At about 6 I can hear the call to prayer from a nearby mosque. A very nice melodic chant. There is a group of doves nesting outside my window, and for the next hour or so, before the traffic starts all I can hear is the gentle cooing of doves.
The weather has warmed up quite a bit. The high today was 28, the low 12. I slept without my arctic nightwear for the first time on this trip.
I have walked all over the old town, and, once you get away from the tourist spots, it is very pleasant. The stores here are quite different. There are literally hundreds of little shops. The ground floor of every building is a shop. Most are about 10 by 20 feet. The textile shops are lined floor to ceiling with bolts of materials. If you want to buy something you sit on a cushion, tea is served, and the salesman starts his pitch. There is always an assistant who brings bolts of the materials that the salesman suggests. The only stores that are similar to what we are used to are emporiums that are strictly for tourists. Every tour I have been on has stopped at one or two of these. There is usually a floor for carpets, another for textiles, then jewelry and crafts. High pressure sales all the way. I have learned not to even go in anymore.
I read on the news last year that the Indian government has denied permission for Walmart and Home Depot to open stores in India. I think a Walmart would put thousands of these little stores out of business.
I did have another "Indian" moment this morning. As we were having breakfast we looked down to the street and there was an elephant rambling down the street. What a sight!
One more night in Jodhpur, and then it's off to my last stop before returning home.
Tata

No comments: