Sunday, February 1, 2015

Feb 1 On the way to Ayutthala

I spent last night walking through the night market in Sukhothai. Every city I have visited has what is called a night market, or "walking street". They are basically flea markets, but specializing in selling stuff to tourists. Not a lot of quality wares, mostly cheap tee shirts, lots and lots of harem pants, and knick-knacks. The only one that was a bit better was the one in Chiang Mai. It was roomier, had street musicians, and some interesting crafts. The problem is that by 8 you can hardly move.
The one yesterday was quite different, because Sukhothai doesn't get a lot of tourists, so it's aimed at locals. Lots of food stalls. Great variety, and cheap. Most items were less than a buck. The problem is, for me, I have no idea what I am eating. The highlight was a small, what looked like a mini hamburger, which turned out to be pig's blood patty. Didn't taste bad, but I decided not to get a plate.
The other thing is that even their food is colourful.
I slept well, surprise, surprise, on my bed of stone.
Today I travelled to Ayutthala by bus. I thought it would be a 4 hour ride, but ended up 7 hours. We stopped for lunch, along the way, and were given a coupon for a plate of rice, with our choice of topping. I have given up on ordering a meat dish, because the amount of meat is minimal. I am sure one chicken would be adequate for a wedding banquet. One pig would feed Dundas, and one cow the entire Golden Horseshoe.
You also get a "mystery bun" on the bus. I have encountered these on plane trips, and other bus trips. It is the size of a small hamburger bun, sweet bread, with a variety of fillings, which you can't identify until you take a bite. I've had, tuna salad, mystery meat, and today the sweetest custard I have ever tasted. I think they added sugar to honey...not a great taste.
One of the fun things during the bus ride, is to observe some of the unique structures along the highway. 10 foot roosters, dragons, huge pineapples. 
I have resigned myself to getting ripped off by taxi drivers. When I land in a new city I have no idea where I'm going, so I'm at the mercy of the taxi driver at the bus terminal, or at the spot on the highway, where the bus lets you off. For example my 7 hour bus ride, with mystery bun, and a meal was 14 dollars. My 20 minute taxi ride to my hotel was 8 dollars. My contribution to the local economy.
I do remember, in Norway, a 10 minute taxi ride was 40 Euros.
I have moved up a notch in hotel accommodation. The "Good Morning by Tamarind" is 24 dollars a night, and is lovely. Free coffee, (instant), water, cookies, and even fresh bananas.
And the bed is fantastic!
I walked around town and saw some first. My FIRST actual grocery store. Everything up to now were 7-elevens, no meat, no fruit. There was also a Dunking Donut, KFC, Swensen ice cream shop, and a Pizza Hut. And I also saw my first live rat.
Happy dreams
Ralf

I wasn't kidding about the colourful food at the night market

Seen along the highway





No comments: