Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Prague Sept 22

The weather in Prague has been perfect. Another sunny day, high 22.
Every European city I have visited the last few years has an LRT system, and they are great. The on in Prague is quite extensive, and as a bonus it is FREE for anyone over 70. I love it.
Prague is similar to Budapest, in that it is divided by a river, the Vitava, or Moldau, as it was known under the Hapsburgs. The Old town is rather flat, while the other side rises up from the river. This is the side where the castle and St. Vitus Cathedral is.
(I love my iPad, but it sometimes is irritating. It doesn't know all the saints, and when I typed in Vitus, it changed it to Virus. I wonder if the pope knows about St. Virus)
We started out by taking a the tram up the hill, where our first stop was the Strahov monastery. The most important aspect of this monastery is its beautiful library. The collection of over 20 000 books date back to the 1400's. The library rooms are, themselves, works of art.
Near the library is a large statue dedicated to Tycho Brahe and Johannesburg Kepler, two of the most influential physicists of the 17th century. They worked together, sort of, in Prague. (It's a long story)
Next on the agenda was a visit to the Royal Palace, and the impressive St. Vitus Cathedral. It is a Gothic Cathedral, finished in 1344. It contains the St. Wenceslas Chapel, where relics of the saint are buried. I think it is his right ear, and left testicle, but I'm not sure.
The view from the castle is outstanding.
We made our way back home, had some lunch and then revisited the Charles Bridge. It dates back to the 1500's, and is the most famous of the bridges crossing the Vitava. There are 30 large statues lining the bridge. The are numerous arts and crafts stalls along the bridge.
After dinner, and some more shopping we went to a concert at the Smetana Hall, at the Municipal House. The hall is beautiful, Art Noveau, and the acoustics are perfect. The performance was by the Prague Music Orchestra. I don't want to be picky, but the term "orchestra", in my mind, means more than 8 members, but that's all that appeared on stage. 8 men, all dressed in black. 6 violinists, and 2 cellists. 
A couple of ladies, obviously friends, recorded the whole concert on their cell phones. I can just hear the conversation back home,
"Joy, you have to come over and see my video of a concert I saw in Prague"
"I'd love to, Shirley, but you have to see mine first"
Now, the music was great, but I don't think a cell phone will have great sound, and, to be honest, there wasn't a lot of action on stage; no shimmy-shimmy shaking, no pelvic thrusts, not even a single toe tapper. 
I shouldn't complain, because I really enjoyed the music. It was beautiful. I just closed my eyes, and let the music flow over me. Magic!
Photo 1 three physics guys, I'm the one on the left 
Photo 2 the Theological Hall at the Strahov library
Photo 3 the view from the castle grounds
Photo 4 the balcony at Smetana Hall



No comments: