Sunday, April 25, 2010

March 31 Back in Hanoi

Well it has been a week, and what a week.
Some general impressions.
Sidewalks are primarily for  parking motorbikes. They are also used as eating places, selling just about anything; everything except pedestrians. I guess that's what roads are for.
I have never seen such airpollution. When I was in Hong Kong the big news was the smog. HK is much better than Vietnam. The only time I have seen the sun is through a bronze filter. I don't think all the motorbikes help. Add to this the fact that a lot of people smoke I can't imagine the rate of lung cancer here.
Houses are quite different here. They are very narrow, about 10 feet across, but very deep, and 3 story high. The front doors are like patio doors, and open up the entire width of the house. The front room on the first floor is the living room, TV, and eating area. In the evenings the doors are open and you can see the household. And of course this is the room where you park your motorbike.
Today will be a day of rest, just walking and shopping. I have found a laundry that charges 1 dollar per kg. I am going to splurge.
Adieu
Ralf

No comments: