Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My second day in Hanoi

I had a very fortunate experience this morning. As I was walking I heard some music, and I followed my ears. I came across a street festival, which featured lion dancers, groups of ladies doing fan dances, tai chi (?), and martial arts exhibitions (not by the ladies). It turned out it was a celebration at a temple, and the occasion was the birthday of the founder of the temple. The ceremonies lasted about 2 hours, and it was great entertainment.
I also went to the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum. He is the country's most adored citizen, like Lenin in Moscow and Attaturk in Turkey. His body is preserved and on show 10 months of the year. The other two months he is in Moscow getting a facelift, and a formaldehyde refill. I had no intention of viewing the body, but it is in a huge park, and there is security all over the place. You can't just wander around, you basically follow the crowd. Because I hadn't expected to see the body I didn't check my camera at the security office, but I found myself in line to see the body. I was hoping I wouldn't get caught, and I didn't. He does look good for somebody who has been dead a few years.
The most amazing thing about Hanoi is the traffic. I know I have said this before, but I have to repeat it. It is more thrilling than any Disney ride. At one point you feel like Moses parting the Red Sea, the next you think you are a torreador in a bull fight arena. I had a coffee in a restaurant with a balcony, and I just watched the traffic for half an hour. It was like an RCMP Musical Ride, with motorcycles and cars weaving around each other.
Absolutely amazing.
The trick is not to look at the traffic, just look straight ahead and walk at a steady pace. You certainly must learn to have faith in your fellow human beings.
The weather today was much nicer, it was cool, and very pleasant. I have yet to see the sun on this trip. The air is so bad, the sun can't get through. There are a lot of people with face masks.
One more day in Hanoi then it's off the the northeast of Vietnam.
Till the next time
Ralf

No comments: