Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cham Towers

While I was in Nha Tranh I went to the train station the get information on how to get to Phan Tran, my next stop. I was told 9 am.
When I got to that station the next morning the lady told me there was no train to Phan Tran. I was confused. I finally got an explanation. There was a train to Cham Tran, which is about 6 km from Phan Tran. From the train station I could take a bus. So I got to Cham Tran, and when I got there I discovered that the the towers I was looking for where in Cham Tran. So I decided to skip, Phan Tran, see the towers in the afternoon, and then take a sleeper train to HCMC. (This is almost starting to sound like an Abbot and Costello routine)
As soon as I got off the train several taxi drivers approached me. I tried to explain that I wanted to walk to the towers. "Not possible, too hot, too far". I had about 9 hours to kill, so I said i will try on my own.
Well lo and behold the towers were about a half hour walk.
I have to say that visit was one of the most beautiful afternoons on this trip.
The Cham towers are on a hill, overlooking the town. There is a beautiful garden complex, and a very good visitor centre. The Chams are Hindus, and these towers are still used as temples by the local Cham people. It is a site which is well maintained, and CLEAN, a rarity in Vietnam.
There was no-one there, it was peaceful, beautiful vista, and a nice breeze. I stayed for well over an hour, and actually felt refreshed, if that's possible when the temperature is in the high 30's.
I spent a couple of hours walking the town, and I was the only tourist. The ladies in the market got a kick out of me, and one wanted to sell me a live duck. I declined.
Several little kids stared at me in wonder. It's interesting being on the other side of the camera lens.
I still had 4 hours to kill. That's a long time to sit in a railway station, but the 4 hours did eventually pass.
Off to Ho Chi Min City
Ralf

No comments: