Monday, April 12, 2010

Nha Tranh


Last night was another interesting experience. I took a "sleeper" bus to Nha Tranh. A sleeper bus is quite unique. There are no seats as on a normal bus. There are three rows of "beds" the length of the bus, two levels. The "beds" are almost horizontal, but there is room under each "head" for a space for the feet of the person behind. Quite ingenious, and not uncomfortable. The biggest problem with taking a bus is the constant use of the horn. The horn here is used to warn motor bikes, and bicycles, and other vehicles that you are going to pass. So you can imagine how often you would toot your horn, if you did it every time you passed someone. I did get some sleep though.
I arrived in Nha Tranh at 6 am, got a hotel, and took a shower.One of the nice things is that you can get a hotel at 5, or 6 in the morning.
Nha Tranh is noted for its beautiful beach, and it is a very nice one. One colourful sight were kids flying very pretty kites. I stopped counting at 50.
Vietnam doesn't have daylight saving time, so the sun rises before 5, and it is dark at 6 in the afternoon. As I walked along the street I looked in on a Catholic church. I saw the end of the 7 am mass, and the church was packed, with people standing outside. There were 3 masses, 5, 7, and 9 AM.
I also visited a beautiful pagoda, which also had a Sunday service. A lot of elderly Bhuddist nuns, dressed in grey. Quite a charming sight. There is also a huge white Buddha statue, with many steps to climb, which I of course did.
I should apologize for my spelling. My mind has become somewhat frazzled.
The Vietnamese language is interesting. A French Missionary introduced the Roman alphabet, thank goodness. But the Vietnamese retained the idea of Chinese symbols, so that each syllable is expressed separately. So Hanoi is written a Ha Noi. Toronto would be To Ron To. So when I see a Vietnamese sentence I have no idea where one word ends and another begins. An interesting concept. It is difficult being in a country where you can listen to a 10 minute conversation, and not recognize a single word.
I went for a swim in the evening, and actually saw my first stars in Vietnam. It only took me three and a half weeks.
Till the next time
Ralf

No comments: