Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ho Chi Min City Day 3

I woke up at 5, and decided to go for a walk. It was embarrassing, because when I went to the lobby I found out that two of the staff sleep there at night. I already had woken them up, so they let me out.
The morning was nice and cool, 27, and only 90% humidity. I almost went back to get a sweater.
The other thing was that after I had walked a few meters, two young attractive ladies pulled up beside me, and asked if I wanted a massage. I declined, but the one in the back got off, and started to walk beside me, trying to explain all the things I would be missing. She walked arm in arm with me, and grabbed me the crotch, and gave it a squeeze.
Best sex I've had in a month.
We parted company, and I had a good strong coffee to settle my nerves.
I enjoy my morning walks, the city is waking up, people are busy setting up their businesses. It is amazing. There is a lady where I got my coffee. She was serving at 6 am. I saw her last night at 8 pm, still working. Makes for a long day, particularly in this heat. When I was in Hanoi there was a lady making and selling egg rolls on the side walk. She was about 7 months pregnant, and sat on her stool from 6 in the morning until 7 at night, depending on business. She had enough material for making a certain number of egg rolls, and she worked until all the material was used up. I never walked past her spot near my hotel without seeing her.
After breakfast I decided to walk to "China Town" in Saigon. The temperature was a balmy 35, and it was sunny. It was a long walk, about 75 minutes. I judge the heat by the amount of time it takes for my shirt and underwear to be completely soaking wet. Wet enough to wring out. In the morning it took 15 minutes. By late morning it only takes 5 minutes.
China town is supposed to be interesting with some nice old pagodas. I have discovered that places of worship are quite different here. Our churches are basically clean, spacious, and quiet. The pagodas in Saigon are quite small, I don't think they would hold more than a couple of dozen people, and anything but clean. Worshippers were at different altars, praying, and burning incense. They believe that their wishes rise up in the smoke of the incense, and are heard by their ancestors. I guess the only time there would be a large gathering would be for feast days. The cleanest site, by far, was the mosque.
China Town, itself, was no cleaner. A lot of garbage, slums, and kitsch for sale. There is a large market which sells wholesale. If you want to buy 100 rubber sandals, or 100 hats, this is the place to go.
I took a taxi back to the hotel. I couldn't face another 1.5 hour walk.
I had trouble falling asleep after dinner, so I walked to the Night Market, and ran into a retired American who I had run into in both Hue and Hoi An. We had a couple of beers, and watched the "ladies" of the night in action. They come in pairs, on a motorscooter. We didn't see any "sales", so I don't know how it works. Maybe its like they say "You aren't a true Canadian unless you've made love in a canoe". "Maybe you aren't a true Vietnamese unless you've done it on the back of a motor bike"
The traffic in Saigon is actually scarier than in Hanoi. In Hanoi the streets are usually only 2 lanes, and there are very few cars. In Saigon the roads are wider, up to 6 lanes, and there are a lot more cars, trucks and buses. It is especially "fun" at night. You walk across an intersection, and, if you look up, you will see 50 headlights coming straight at you. For the sake of clean underwear I don't even look anymore. You start to walk, and hope to hell that one of those bikers isn't really angry.They just weave around you like a ballet. It is amazing. When I get home I am going to try U-tube to see if anyone has posted videos of pedestrians crossing the road.
Tomorrow is "Homecoming" and I am anxious. The food has been great, but I miss MY CHEESE. There is no cheese made in Vietnam. None. The only cheese you can buy is a processed Swiss made. The type that comes in a round box, with 8 little triangule sections. Very insipid, but it's the only game in town.
The Vietnamese also like their sweet stuff. I bought a hot dog from a street vendor. When you buy a hot dog, you buy a hot dog. It'd a small wiener on a skewer. No bun, no condiments. And it's sweet. One was enough.
I also tried their pepperoni sticks. Looks like a pepperoni stick, but it's sweet. Not my taste.
They have a lot of pork, but they don't seem to make sausages.
The fruit, on the other hand, is outstanding. Nothing is imported, so it is smaller, but much more flavourful. The pineapples and bananas are about a third the size, but with much more flavour. I guess it's like comparing Ontario strawberries, to the stuff that's imported from Mexico. I have had several different types of oranges, mangoes, bananas, watermelons, and others I have never seen before. One of my favourites in Jack Fruit. Delicious.
Anyway The Adventure is almost over. Time to start working on the photos.
Have fun
Ralf

No comments: