Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Long Flight Home

It was a long journey home. I didn't get any sleep for 45 hours, but I did arrive safe and sound in Toronto on Saturday afternoon.
I did a lot of reflecting while I was waiting in air terminals, and I have to admit I am somewhat overwhelmed by my experiences over the last month.
Vietnam was not what I had expected. My expectations were that there would be a lot of natural beauty, and a lot of history. The lasting impression that will stay with me is not one of natural wonder, but one of the Vietnam people.
I gained an awe and a great admiration for the Vietnamese. particularly the North Vietnamese. I have never met a group of people that worked as hard and with a Stoicism that I really appreciated. I saw a lot of places where you could drink beer, but in the entire month I spent in Vietnam I did not see one single drunk. I didn't see a homeless person, I didn't see my first beggar until I reached the South. I didn't see one case of road rage, and with Vietnamese traffic that is a miracle in itself. I didn't see one example of an argument, never mind a fight.
They accept life as it is, and it is a tough life, and they smile.
I will always remember my 3 hour walk on my trek in Sapa, where a Black H'mong lady adopted me. As we walked along a tricky path she became my guardian angel. She would take my hand and lead my along the difficult parts of the path. She would tell me where to put my feet to remain safe. As we walked along she pointed out edible plants. We would stop, she would pick a plant and show me what parts to eat. How many people can recognize a cardamon flower, and know what parts are edible? It has a very pleasant, quite distinct flavour. When we would come across a poisonous plant she would act out a death dance. When she told a joke, she would start to laugh, and poke me in the ribs, so I knew when to laugh. The entire trek she told me about her life, she pointed out features of the land, in a soft, lilting voice. All in her dialect. I didn't understand a word she said, but I loved her for sharing her life with me for 3 wonderful hours.
Another time I was at the Ho Chi Min Mausoleum, when a group of about 60 or so girls came along. They all wore identical Vietnamese dresses. This outfit consists of a pair of loose fitting long pants, and a different coloured plain long dress over it. The dress has two slits up to above the waist, to allow movement. This group of girls all had white pants, and saffron coloured tops. They all had that lithe Vietnamese body, and as they moved along, as a group, I was awestruck with their beauty and grace. It was like a dream. I felt that if I were to touch one, they would all disappear, and I would wake up. the phrase "Poetry in Motion" would be a perfect example. When Europeans think of angels they think of chubby babies with wings. When I think of angels it is Vietnamese girls, moving with a grace and beauty that is almost indescribable.
As I said before the Vietnamese character is what impressed me most on this journey.

I have been asked a few times why I travel the way I do.
There are several explanations. I have to admit one is simply testing whether I still have the physical and mental ability to do these trips. I am in my 70th year, and this was, both physically and mentally a challenging experience, but I did what I set out to do, and that makes me feel good about myself.
I enjoy travelling with other people, but a solo trip is special. When I travel with other people my "teacher" takes over. I become a guide, and I try to make the journey as pleasant as possible. The agenda becomes their agenda.
When I travel solo, the only person I have to please is myself. I do the things that I want to do. I enjoy getting up at 5, and walking the streets, or visiting the local market. I sit and observe how people get ready for another day. I become a fly on the wall. I enjoy a cup of coffee or Pho, and just soak it all in. I don't want a photo, I want to absorb in the experience.  I don't want a specific scene, I want to remember a feeling. Not a lot of people enjoy doing that.
I am also adventurous when it comes to food. Most of my meals on this trip were street food. There were many times I didn't have a clue what I was eating, but 99% of it was excellent. Luckily I have a stomach that seems hardy.

When I travel solo I don't have to please anyone else, I don't have to worry about how they are enjoying themselves; there is a lot less pressure.

The other thing is that it allows me to think. It is similar to removing yourself from your life, and observing it from the outside of the box. It lets me see the "ruts" in my life. It encourages me to change things. It is almost like being reborn, to a small extent.

I also, always, gain a much greater appreciation of how fortunate I am. I have a loving family, that I love dearly, and that I am very proud of; I have a fantastic group of friends.
I am truly a privileged man, and I don't appreciate all these things, unless I go away, and start to miss these things.

I hope you have enjoyed my ramblings these last few weeks, as much as I have enjoyed writing them. Please feel free to send me any comments. I am working on organizing my photos, and posting them on a web site. I will let you know when they are ready.

Till then ADIEU, it's been great.

Ralf

1 comment:

Jody said...

I have truly enjoyed reading your Vietnam adventures! I myself arrived here in Hanoi just last night and am preparing for a couple weeks here and you have provided much inspiration! I'm so glad I met you in Jodhpur and had the chance to get to know you!!
Thanks bunches Ralph!
Jody, Edmonton, Canada