Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 23


Today was a great day in Cuzco. I slept in till 8, had a cold shower (not my choice) and a better breakfast than usual, scrambled eggs, mango juice and coffee.
The temperatures are HI 21, LO 2. I have a heater in my room, but I think it's only for show.
Got some more money, booked my flight to Lima, and then saw the town.
This is the week to be in Cuzco. There is a parade every day. I am not talking about half an hour to an hour. These parades are over 5 hours long. Today it was religion time. There was a mass at 10, and then the parade started. I did a few other things, and went back to the plaza at 5. The parade was just finishing.
I also discovered that my hotel is a block from the main market. I loved it; chewed on some sugar cane, bought some fruit, that I have no idea what they are. I had lunch at the market, a lovely omelet, with good fries, and a local drink, which I had no idea what it was, but it was good. One dollar fifty, and that included a tip, which she did not expect. Later I had freshly squeezed orange juice, two glasses, one dollar.
The market is a typical local market. They sell everything.
There is even a few kiddie rides. The one that got me was a gambling setup, designed for kids. You put your money on cartoon characters, and he draws a card to see if you won. Six year old kids were playing. There were guys selling individual cans of beer.
The crowds were unbelievable.
I loved it, the colours, the sounds, the aromas.
Tomorrow is the highlight of the week. I am looking forward to it.

No comments: