Monday, June 20, 2011

Life is Good Again

It is amazing what daylight and a good nights sleep will do for you.
Last night was very frustrating. The internet wouldnt cooperate, even my Kindle quit on me.
I woke up this morning, and lo and behold the internet worked, and the sun was out.
I am definitely getting used to the altitude. I walked around for a good 5 hours without any bad effects.
I also had an uplifting experience. On my first day in Pisco I met three young ladies from Taiwan. We stayed at the some hotel, and obviously were hustled by the same travel agency, because we were on the same tours in Pisco and Nasca. Same tours, same buses, same hotels. We didnt separate until we reached Arequipa.
This morning, as I was watching a parade one of them greeted me, and we had a great time comparing notes. They recommended their tour company, and that set me up to see what I want to see.
They have been in Cuzco for several days, and had the same bus stories as I did. They were off to Machu Piccu today, and I will follow tomorrow.
Just an additional note. I was told this morning that Puno is completely shut down again. No ins, no outs. I guess I was lucky.
It has been a great day. I finally got my Peruvian haircut, 3 dollars.
Even my Kindle decided to wake up again. It will never replace books, but it is great for travelling.
This afternoon I went to Qorikancha. This was the central temple in Inca times. The temple walls were lines with 700 solid gold sheets, each weighing 2 kg. There were lifesize replicas of corn, of gold and silver, which were planted each year in a ceremony.There was also a fountain in the center, which was covered with an additional 55 kg of gold.
It didnt take the Spaniards long to liberate all this gold. They built a Dominican church on top of the Inca foundations, so a lot of the original walls are still visible. There was also a great show of modern art there today.
Great visit.
Tomorrow I am off to Machu Piccu. It takes a day to get to Agua Calliente where you stay overnight. Early the next morning you visit Machu Piccu, before returning to Cuzco, by train and bus.
Till later...

No comments: