Friday, January 27, 2012

Jan 27 Orccha

I am starting to really enjoy myself. Love Orccha.
Found a post office and mailed some postcards. I then had a very interesting experience; I was visiting a large temple, when a young man asked me if I wanted to go to the top. It was quite the climb. Very narrow steps, at least 20 inches high, and in the dark. He did have a flashlight. All I kept thinking about was how I was going to get down. When we did reach the top, the view was spectacular. In addition the tops of the temple were like a bird sanctuary. There were a couple of dozen parrots, some bats, and a family of vultures. They are big birds, and I even got to see some babies.
Rather amazing
I also visited a large Hindu temple, which was very clean, and had some colorful idols. This was a strict temple, no leather goods. No shoes I even had to take off my belt. No photos.
At noon I took a tuk-tuk to the train station. These are three-wheeled motorcycles that have a "cabin". I saw 11 people in one once.
On the way to the station we were stopped at a railway crossing. This is quite interesting, because what happens is that all the vehicles on one side line up across the entire road. Same on the other side. When the barrier is lifted it's a free-for-all the get across, and back into your own lane.
The train to Agra was like an airplane, not a lot of room.
In Agra I joined with a lovely British lady, an author, and we shared a taxi to the home stay where she had a room reserved. I was lucky to get a room there also. The place is beautiful, by far the nicest I have stayed on so far.
Tomorrow morning is Taj Mahal time.
I wish I had brought a sweater; this is like camping.
Ta ya till the next time.

No comments: