Tuesday, May 14, 2013

May 13 Gdansk Day 1

May 13, 2013, and my apartment number is 13. You would think it is on the first floor; no such luck, third floor, 65 steps (that's divisible by 13). A superstitious person would have second thoughts.
Today went smoothly. I left Torun on the 8:52 train, and arrived in Gdansk at 12:30. The trains are quite comfortable, not too crowded, but well used.
This time of year seems to be field trip time. Everywhere I've been there have been school groups, from Kindergarten to high school. Most of the tourists have been German.
I never realized how much history is shared by Poland and Germany. Even the money. The small coins are called Groschen, which was the same as in Austria.
I always have fun, when I arrive at a new toenail, orienting myself. I ask, but not everyone speaks German or English, and it takes time to orient myself, even with a map. My apartment is only 15 from the train station, but it took me half an hour to find it.
I am staying in an apartment this time. The building is old, but the apartment has been renovated. It is fully equipped, kitchen, living room, it even has those fantastic European windows, that open in different ways.
There is a real German and Dutch feel to the town. For many years it was known as Danzig, and was self governing. It was an important port from medieval times on.
The architecture is very different from the Polish cities I have seen, at least in the old parts. Gdansk is more like Amsterdam. The houses are quite narrow, and tall, three stories, and an attic.
One of the things I love most, in Poland, are the bakeries and pastry shops. It seems there is one every second block. The aroma is fabulous, and the products are delicious. My kind of town.
The other thing I have noticed is the length of the day. It starts to get light at about 3:30, and sunrise is 4:30. It is still light at 9. 
If this were Dundas I would be walking Logan at 4 am.
I am off to Malbork Castle, one of the high lights of Poland tomorrow.
Till then, have fun,
Ralf



No comments: