Saturday, May 18, 2013

May 18 Vilnius Day 2

I had a great day today. The kind you don't get on tours.
I started my walking at nine, and I couldn't believe how quiet it was. I mean, today is Saturday, and I am downtown, and I am just about alone. No restaurants are open. Nada.
One of the things to do in Vilnius is to walk up the hill at the town center. I had intended to take the furnicular, but it didn't start till ten, and I was there shortly after nine, so I decided to hike up. You know you are getting old when a six year old goes by you as if you are standing still. Come to think about it, I was standing still. Huffing. The hill is the site of the original castle, which withstood several invasions, and sieges some by the crusaders. Some ruins are still present, and you get a lovely view of the city.
After my hike to the castle I visited the National Museum. Not one of the high-lights of the trip. Part of the collection were items collected by Lithuanians from far away, for example the was an Egyptian mummy. How that ties in with Lithuania I don't understand. There were some nice displays of national costumes, and also depictions of farm life. One of the things I don't understand is that you are not allowed any kind of photography. I can understand "no flash", but no photos at all doesn't male any sense.
I started to visit the Old Town, and discovered that today was the day that any musician could find a spot, and perform. There were some official bandstands, but most musicians just found a spot, and played. It was like a busker fest, but not as organized.
There was everything from kids playing a violin, to rock bands, folk singers, polka bands, there was even a group of salsa dancers. Every block had two or three acts. The streets that were empty at nine, were packed with people.
I happened to catch a trio, two guitars, and a vocalist. The girl had a gorgeous voice, and I spent over half an hour listening to her. She was really good. It amazes me the talent that never gets recognized.
It had been a beautiful, sunny day, but the clouds suddenly appeared, and it rained for a few minutes. I decided to head home, it's been a long day.

No comments: