Friday, January 16, 2015

Friday Jan 16

Today was my last day in Bangkok. I planned to see the Museum of Siam, and visit the flower market. Today was hotter than earlier in the week, just over 30, sunny, but also the smog was more noticeable. I took a local bus to the museum, and the traffic was something else. We passed the Grand Palace, and there were dozens of huge tour buses. Unbelievable crowds.
The museum was great. It is only 10 years old, and quite modern. Not the usual stuff, but mainly a place to learn about the general history of the country, from prehistoric to modern times. Lots of interactive displays, and everything was in Thai and English.
An added bonus was that when I entered the girl asked me if I was over 60. Loved her! It turns out that seniors get in FREE, a saving of 10 dollars. The pricing is interesting, 2 dollars for natives, 10 dollars for foreigners, but free for all seniors. I didn't complain.
The shame was that in the couple of hours I was there I didn't see more than 10 people, not a single tour bus in sight. Same as the barge museum yesterday.
The flower market was also nice. It is huge, and primarily a wholesale operation for hotels and restaurants to get fresh flowers daily. Thais are quite religious, I have seen quite a few monks and nuns on the street. Most people have shrines at home, and there are daily offerings of fruits and flowers.
In addition to huge bags or bundles of flowers there are girls that make up bouquets, all gorgeous and cheap.
By the late afternoon I returned to my hotel. My feet were killing me, so I had another massage, this time a foot massage. This is my third massage in five days, I am spoiling myself, but it's lovely.
One more little tidbit; while I was walking I was given a flyer for a "ping-pong" show. Those of you that saw "Priscilla, Queen of the desert" will know what that is all about. I didn't go.
The street scene still amazes me, today there was a sort of food truck, only it was a fully stocked bar, dozens of different bottles, any mixed drink you want, right on the street.
If that didn't suit you you could get a dose of laughing gas, to cheer you up
Another common sight are tattoo parlours, 3 or 4 on every block again I wasn't tempted. God, I'm getting old!!!
Tomorrow I fly to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat, one of the highlights of Asia.

No comments: