Friday, January 16, 2015

Jan 16, arrival in Siem Reap, Cambodia

I rose early for my 6 am shuttle to the airport. At 6, it was already 24 degrees, and quite a lot of smog. I am flying with AirAsia..their motto is "Everyone can fly"...I guess they should add.." But not everyone gets there".
The one hour flight was smooth, and on time.
There is a cash grab at the Cambodian arrival port. You have to purchase a 30$US visa. Fortunately it is a fast process.
By 1 I was settled in my hotel; a lovely spot, good sized room, AC, wifi in my room, kettle, even a fridge. It is a family run business, and they are also involved with a local charity, supporting education for underprivileged kids.
The management has a sense of humour. Here are some of the house rules:

The current is 220V in Cambodia. Try not to blow anything up.
Please, no "guests" in your room. You know what kind we mean.
Drugs and weapons are just silly, so leave them outside.

I have been here only a few hours, but I already love it. Bangkok was a disappointment, too many tourists, very little authentic, too big, too noisy, too commercial.
Siem Reap is nice and small, I am a 30 minute "limp" from the downtown area, which is lively, but nothing like Bangkok. 
A couple of interesting things. The common currency is the US dollar. All the stores, even the local grocery stores have everything priced in US currency. So, everything is to the dollar, or half dollar. If something is 3.50, and you give the clerk a 5 dollar bill, you get a 1 dollar bill back, and two 1000 riel bills. Each 1000 riel bill is worth 25 cents. I have been in countries where the U.S. Dollar is accepted, but never where it is used more commonly than the local currency. It must be different in other parts of Cambodia, but I don't know.
Another noticeable difference is the number of cripples. Cambodia has had a terrible history lately. It was heavily bombed during the Vietnam war, and then the Khmer Rouge almost killed the country. There are more land mines here than anywhere in the world, and accidents, where people are injured are still common
. There is even a land mine museum in Siem Reap. As a result you see maimed beggars frequently.
On a much happier note the food that I have tasted here has been fantastic. For a quick snack I had some of the tastiest spring rolls I can remember, with a passion fruit soda. Later I had a mango milkshake, while I wandered the streets. I saw some lovely local craft stores.
On my walk downtown I came across this little store, "The Ministry of Arts, Potions and Metaphors". Figure that one out.
I also liked the typical South East Asian electric street wiring. Everything is colour coated...black. There are some sweet little shops along the street, this coffee shop, for example

No comments: