Friday, January 30, 2015

Jan 30 Travelling to Sukhotan

Today was a travel day, 8 hours from Chiang Rai to Sukhotan, which is in central Thailand. I can't figure out how their bus rates work. I took a bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, 3 hours, 300 baht (12 dollars). My bus today was 8 hours and cost 250 baht. On Sunday I have a 4 hour ride to Ayutthala, 340 baht. There is no great difference between the buses.
Our bus was stopped for a police check, and the officer went through my bag. I am happy that I didn't decide to bring my pink Cinderella bikini undies.
This is the dry season, I haven't seen a rain cloud yet, and I assume it's been like that since October. The landscape is dried out, and not colourful. When you do see colour it is spectacular. There are no muted colours, every flower is a brilliant yellow, bright red or orange. It's funny seeing a tree that looks dead, no leaves on its spindly branches, but the are several bright yellow blooms.
This is also reflected in the people. Houses are fluorescent green, bright mauve and orange is a popular combination for houses.
Even the trucks and tour buses are very colourful.
The colour I really love is the bright green of a rice field, that is starting to grow.
The other surprising thing is that different villages seem to have specialities. Yesterday there was a stretch of about 3 km, along the highway where there were more than 50 stalls, selling only pineapples. Each stall had several dozen. I can't understand how they can sell all those pineapple. I didn't see one car stop.
Today there were other examples. One village had several dozen stalls selling woven baskets; a second village had several dozen stalls selling chairs, no tables, just chairs, all pretty well identical. My favourite was one that had several dozen stalls selling machetes, and all kinds of knifes, enough to outfit the army of a small country.
The weather has changed, hot and humid. I even saw my first mosquito. It's time to think about heading home
Ralf

A couple of Thai motor vehicles, a tour bus and a truck



One of the popular souvenir items, a piece of soap, carved for your bathroom





No comments: