Sunday, January 25, 2015

Jan 25 Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai is quite different from the other cities I have visited, a lot less hectic than Bangkok, much cleaner and livelier than Siem Reap and Luang Prabang.
The weather is also nicer. It still cool in the morning and in the upper 20's in the afternoon, but there is no haziness in the morning, and a lot less humidity.
The hotel I am staying in is a lot more luxurious than all the others. Lovely clean room, good wifi connection, and a beautiful swimming pool; a nice way to cool down after a long day walking.
I joined a local tour today to visit Wat Phra That, the most important temple in Chiang Mae. It is at the top of Doi Suthep mountain. It's a 30 minute car ride to the top.
On the way we stopped at a local tribal village. It was basically a place with a lot of souvenir stalls. Some of the locals wore their tribal outfits, but it was just to sell stuff to the tourists. The location was nice, and lots of flowers were blooming
One of the amazing thing about the temple is that it was built centuries ago, when there was no road, everything had to be brought along paths in a dense jungle. Pilgrims visiting the temple would need at least half a day to hike from the city. Once the car reaches the top there are 362 steps up to the temple. Fortunately there is a tram that goes up, and then you can walk down.
It is a magnificent structure. Everything is covered with gold leaf, and it just shines brilliantly in the sunshine. Lots of statues of Bhudda.
Thais are quite religious, and there were many visitors praying and making offerings while we were there.
I saw the most gorgeous group of Thai, at the temple. They looked like models. I snuck a couple of photos. On the way down the steps we met them again, and I made a comment to one of the men in our tour, a Frenchman. He told me he thought they were transvestites. No way, but then one of them turned around, and in perfect English and a manly voice told me "He's right, I have a dick, just like yours". It takes a lot to leave me speechless, but this was one case where I was. 
The people you meet at temples.
Ralf
The pool at my hotel. My room was at the, and I have a balcony right beside the pool

Tribal costume

The center structure of the temple

Who would have guessed?






No comments: