Monday, May 20, 2013

May 20 Siauliai

Today went smoothly. I caught a bus from Vilnius to Siauliai, which is in northern Lithuania. The scenery along the way was very pleasant, lots of green fields, and very flat. I have never seen so many dandelions. I first thought they were fields of canola, but they weren't.
The reason I stopped in Siauliai is that just north of the city is a place called Hill of Crosses. The history goes back to 1831, when some locals used it as a peaceful protest against the Czarist regime.
Over the years more and more people added crosses to show their support for a free Lithuania.
During the Soviet occupation after WWII the Soviets tried to discourage the practice, and, three times, during the 60's and 70's, they bulldozed the hill, and burned all the crosses. Every time the crosses reappeared. The estimate is that there are over 100 000 crosses there now.
It's not easy getting there. From Siauliai you have to take a local bus. This bus drops you off at the side of the road, and you have to hike 2 km, to the actual hill, which is in the middle of nowhere. In reality it isn't really a hill, more like a mound. The vast majority of the crosses are only a few inches tall, and they hang from the larger ones. There are some large crosses and statues.
It is quite a sight, and it's interesting to note different languages, such as German, and even English. The Hill has become one of the biggest tourist attraction on the country.
Siauliai is an interesting town, that has some weird museums. It has a bicycle museum, and a museum of cats. Lots life cats, but a multitude of ceramic cats, and a photographic exhibition of felines. I am sorry to say I missed both of those attractions.
When I arrived in Lithuania I withdrew 600 Lits for my expenses. (About 240 dollars). I am leaving tomorrow, and I have 6 Lits left. How is that for budgeting? I might even squeeze a coffee out of that at the bus station.
Tomorrow I am off the Riga, in Latvia.
Wish me luck
Ralf

No comments: