Thursday, May 23, 2013

May 23 Riga Day 3

I love my mini iPad. It does so many things. I have used it to make my hotel reservations, get maps, do emails, and my blog. I am using it to back up my photos. I have Face timed. And it is my library. I can read all the books I bought for my Kindle, and borrow ebooks from the Hamilton library while I travel. It also allows me to read the Spec, the Globe, and get CBC news.
All that and it is light, and fits in my pocket.
It is surprising how universal WiFi is. Every accommodation I have stayed at has WiFi, some better than others, but it is there.
One of the observations I have made is the homogeneity of the population.  Aside from obvious tourists I have seen only a dozen or so visible minorities, of any sort. And this is after three weeks.
The one thing which is also noticeable is the universality of Western chains, particularly restaurants. I haven't been anywhere that didn't have several McDonalds, KFCs, I have even seen a TGIF. 
I have also been surprised by the small number of farmers markets. I have seen a few, but the selections were small. No local cheeses, jams, or so.
The one exception is Riga. The central market in Riga is bigger than any other I have seen. It is not as attractive as the one in Barcelona, but it is much bigger. There are 5 huge buildings. The largest one is about the size of the Food building at the Ex, and it is only for butchers. There are other buildings for dairy products, and an entire building for fish.
The outside is filled with, literally, dozens of stalls selling produce, fruit, flowers, dresses, shoes, souvenirs. The only thing I didn't see we're large appliances.
Riga is a beautiful city, with beautiful buildings, smart shops, and many little squares full of sidewalk cafes.
I start early, and it is very quiet. By 10 or 11, my feet need a rest, and I have a coffee at an outdoor cafe, and watch the crowds. By this time the tour groups start to appear. There are quite a few, each day. I head back to my hotel for some rest, and then go out for dinner.
The most spectacular building in Riga is the House of the Blackheads. The Blackheads, or as they were known locally, the Zits, were unmarried German merchants. they built this house in the 1300's. The house was added to over the years. It was bombed heavily by the Nazis, in 1941, and completely demolished by the Soviets in 1948. Fortunately the original plans were saved, and the building completely rebuilt for Riga's 800 years birthday party, in 2001. Check it out on Google.
One story is that on a cold Christmas, in 1510, the Blackheads, under the influence of a lot of Christmas spirit, cut down a pine tree, and brought it into the main chamber of the house. They decorated it with flowers. At the end of the evening they torched the tree, still inside. According to legend that was the start of decorating Christmas trees. They decided to drop the burning part, although that does take care of all of the fallen needles.This is the kind of things that should be taught in history classes.
Ralf

No comments: