Tuesday, May 21, 2013

May 21 Riga Day 1

I took the bus from Siauliai (can anyone think of another 8 letter word with only 2 vowels?) to Riga. I noticed, in Siauliai that many of the older homes were of a clapboard construction. The favourite colour is a mustard yellow. Quite attractive. Travelling to Riga I saw similar houses along the way.
Everything went smoothly, I found my hotel, a 15 minute walk from the bus station. Nice room, but it doesn't come with a coffee machine, or a kettle. No morning coffee in my room!
I went for a walk in the afternoon. I went into a store to buy some water, and when I came out it was pouring.
Being an ex-scout I had packed a rain jacket and an umbrella. Being a dump Boy Scout I left them at the hotel. So I waited about half an hour till it stopped.
I did notice something interesting. In all the previous places I visited, I didn't see any, what I call, "Wall-Mart People"; you know the type. Well I did see a few in Riga, all female, all obese. I am surprised.
I made it back to the hotel, dry.
I did go out again, after 5, and made it to the Old Town. It is amazing how different these cities are. Riga's Old Town is beautiful. And it's different than any of the other places I have seen so far.
Its history is also unique. It was founded by a German in 1201, and was taken by the Swedes in 1621. For a time it was the largest Swedish city. Then came the Russians in the 1800's. Not a lot of Latvians in this history. In the 20th century the Nazis and the Soviets took turns trying to level Riga. Like the other Baltic states the Soviets were in control, after WWII, until 1991. Even now there are more Russians than Latvians living in Riga. All the public notice signs are in Latvian, Russian, and English.
I was enjoying a cappuccino, at one of the many outdoor cafes, when I heard thunder. I looked up and saw some very dark clouds. I did remember my umbrella, and I walked back to the hotel in a light rain. Within a few minutes of getting back, the rain started to increase, and hasn't let up.
It is nice to be in a nice warm room, and listen to the pitter-patter of the rain.
I hope it does stop tomorrow.
Ralf  

No comments: