Saturday, January 24, 2015

Jan 24 Back in Thailand

My stay in Laos has been very pleasant. The weather has been consistent, quite cool in the morning, last night's low was 8, and its hazy. By 11 the sun has burned off the haze, and the temperature is in the high 20's. It is humid, even in the morning.
The locals here are different from Cambodia. They are stockier and more Chinese looking.
I had a nice conversation with an American, who was about my age. When he was a kid his family had spent a few years in the area, but he did his later education in the US. About ten years ago his kids were grown up and gone. He divorced, and has spent the last ten years living here. He even spent a year as a monk in a local temple. Apparently Bhuddist monks don't have to commit themselves permanently, they can come and go. Not a bad idea.
Laos is an underdeveloped country. They also were caught up in the Vietnam war, but did not suffer as badly as Cambodia. The roads are bad, and there is a lot of poverty and dirt.
I flew Laos Air again. It is an amazing company, both my flights were punctual, and even on one hour flights they serve a cold meal.
Landing in Thailand was another experience. There must have been several flights ahead of ours, because the lineup at immigration was very long. It took an hour to get through.
Chiang Mai seems a nice city, cleaner and greener than Cambodia and Laos. 
My hotel is lovely, in the old part of the city, and it even has a pool.
I went out and did some shopping for fresh fruit. Everything is smaller, but also tastier. The bananas are the mini kind, but very sweet. I bought some clementine oranges and they are the size of golf balls. Fun to peel, but excellent taste.
Have fun
Ralf

Typical street restaurant in Laos, or Cambodia, or Thailand

Apprentice monks cleaning the temple walls. I think the one on the left is well on his way to become Bhudda

My bounty of fruit, less than a dollar




No comments: