Monday, April 25, 2016

Jordan April 14


Today was a lovely morning, beautiful sunshine, high of 16. Perfect day for walking.
Amman is built on 14 hills, so there a lot of steep hills, and stairs, and stairs, and stairs.
I wanted to walk on Rainbow Street, which is a more upscale and has nice shops and restaurants.
My hotel lady, Hazel, suggested I take a cab to the top of the street and then walk back down to downtown. Good advice, too bad I didn't take it. I didn't have anything planned, so I did decide to walk. It's only about a kilometre, but it's about 80% uphill. About half way up my stomach started to grumble and I knew I better find a washroom very soon. 
I found one, had a nice cup of mint tea, and life is good again. I think an app on the iPhone indicating public washrooms would be great. 
Rainbow Street is very different from downtown. It is much more Western. The shops are what we are used to, and they are more upscale. No saddle makers here.
At 10 in the morning I was the only customer in the cafe. At least no washroom lineup.
There are many things I like in Jordan. I love the flat bread, the hummus is heavenly, and the mint tea is very refreshing. It gets its flavour from fresh mint leaves that are put in each cup. No comparison to the crushed dried stuff we get at home.
At the top of the food list is the Syrian ice cream I was treated to by Rheem and Nour.
Tomorrow is my last full day in Jordan. It has been a memorable tripApril 14
Today was a lovely morning, beautiful sunshine, high of 16. Perfect day for walking.
Amman is built on 14 hills, so there a lot of steep hills, and stairs, and stairs, and stairs.
I wanted to walk on Rainbow Street, which is a more upscale and has nice shops and restaurants.
At the top of the food list is the Syrian ice cream I was treated to by Rheem and Nour.
In the afternoon I walked along the Main Street in the old city. The stores are fascinating.
In the evening, this being a Friday, there were lots of activities in the square.
Tomorrow is my last full day in Jordan. It has been a memorable trip.



No comments: