Monday, April 25, 2016

Jordan April 17

Jet lag doesn't get easier with an aging body.
The trip home was a long one. For some unknown reason, probably linked to sadism, my return flight went from Amman to Bahrain. I had no idea where Bahrain is, but it's a 2.5 hours flight to the southeast. From there it's 7.5 hours northwest to London. So, 6 hours after I started we once again flew over Amman, in the right direction this time.
All in all 37 hours passed from when I got out of bed in Amman, and when I got home. I don't sleep on planes, so I was beat, and I had a sore bum. Otherwise everything went well.
The reason I didn't write this on Monday was that Sandy and I went to see a film, "Theeb", on Monday. This film was made in Jordan, specifically in Wadi Rum, and I wanted to experience it. It was a good film, especially the desert scenery. Spectacular.
Interestingly one of the films I watched on the way over was "The Martian", which was also filmed in Wadi Rum, only this time it represents Mars. Quite a coincidence.

All in all it was a very successful trip. 
I hiked to the Monastery at Petra, floated in the Dead Sea, snorkeled in the Red Sea, slept in the desert, in style, did a hot air balloon in Wadi Rum.
Saw some beautiful Roman ruins, stood where Moses stood, saw where Jesus was baptized. I  learned a lot about the history and cultures of this ancient region.
Jordanians are very friendly, polite, and honest. I never felt unsafe.
I met some great people, some of the drivers, and above all Reem and Nour. I just loved the day I spent with them, and the Syrian ice cream they introduced me to.
Meeting people is one of the joys of the way I travel, and I was very lucky on this trip.

Till next time
Ralf

No comments: