Friday, February 10, 2012

F 10 Jodhpur

I wish I could have shared last night with all of you.
I was sitting on the roof top of my guest house; the temperature was pleasant, I was listening to Leonard Cohen, and I had just talked to Sandy.
I was looking at the most magnificent fort I have seen on this trip. Mehrangarn Fort is a massive structure on a steep hill overlooking the whole area. The fort was built with stone from the hill, so it looks like a massive stone wall, all lit up at night.
It was a magical moment, and I realized how fortunate I am to be able to do a trip like this at this stage of my life.
Truly magical!
This morning the owner arranged for a tuk-tuk to do a city tour. There was another tourist, a lovely young lady from Edmonton, and we shared the cost of the taxi.
Jodhpur is a large city, but they have made an effort to clean it up. It shows, a lot less garbage, fewer cows. Actually pleasant.
We first visited a mansion, built in the 1930's. It is the home of the family of the last maharaja, and it is also a luxury hotel. Prices start at 800 dollars a night. There are 365 rooms in this palace. The grounds are immaculate, and, of course, the view is great.
We then visited a garden where there were cenotaphs from the 15th century on. Very peaceful and impressive.
It also was the first place where little kids were bothersome, but they gave up soon.
Stop 3 was a marble palace, another cenotaph. They sure know how to bury people.
Final stop was the fort itself. Fantastic. Many of the rooms were still furnished, and there were collection of weapons, paintings, carriages. All well displayed.
Jodhpur is called the Blue City, and from the ramparts of the fortress you can see why. Most of the buildings in the old part are painted a bright blue, and from the top it looks enchanting.
The young lady and I got along very well, it was nice to have a conversation. She is on a world journey. She started in Nepal, and after India she is off to Africa, North Korea, Vietnam, and then Russia and Easter Europe. Quite the adventure. We traded blogsites, and I am looking forward to following her blog.
Time for a hot shower.
Tata

No comments: