Thursday, February 9, 2012

Feb 9 Jodhpur

I took the bus from Jaisalmer to Jodhpur this morning. It was interesting because the bus was to leave at 8:15. By 8 there were a couple of people ready to board. I had bought a "sleeper" ticket, which gave me a 6 foot long, 2.5 wide and 3 foot high cabin. It had sliding doors and privacy curtains. The foam mattress was nice, and there was a pillow. By 8:30 we hadn't left, but a lot more people showed up, with their luggage. Because of the sleeper compartment there is no luggage rack, so it stays in the aisle. We left at 8:45, but made a couple of stops on the way out of the city. By the time we left, the bus was packed, and there wasn't even any standing room. I was very happy to have my private sardine can inside the bigger sardine can.
The bus ride took 5 hours, and I read my Kindle and slept.
Jodhpur is a big city, with another impressive fort. I am staying in a guest house in the old part, with a beautiful view of the fort from the roof top of the guest house.
I have a great room; it even has a foam mattress. The couple running the place are lovely.
I started to walk around, and spent a couple of hours at the market. This is, by far, the nicest and biggest market I have seen so far. The usual number of cows, but a lot to see. Jodhpur is noted for its spice market, and that is very colorful and aromatic. It's nice to smell something besides cow shit, urine, and exhaust fumes.
Till tomorrow

No comments: