Sunday, February 5, 2012

Feb 5 Jaisalmer

I left Bikaner yesterday morning, and took a bus to Phalodia. All that was going was a local bus, very basic. None of these local buses are less than 40 years old, and they show it. The seats are cracked, the whole bus rattles continuously. Luckily it wasn't completely full, and I had 2 seats to myself.
I arrived in Phalodia in the afternoon, and spent the day walking around. I do like these smaller towns, no real hassles with salesmen. My hotel was another dump, but cheap. The only place the Lonely Planet recommended was 80 dollars, so I cheaped out again. The beds here are generally very hard, the matresses have given up on having any lift decades ago.
The reason I stopped in Phalodia was that it was near the village of Kachin. Kachin is the place where Demoiselle cranes winter. These are very graceful birds, about 75 cm tall, gre, with short peaks. They actually fly over the Himalayas from their breeding grounds in China and central Asia. The villagers have been feeding the, on a daily basis, for the last 150 years. There are supposedly several thousands, but my guess would be several hundred. At day break they swoop in and feed. It is quite a sight, and the noise is unreal.
After visiting Kachin this morning I took a bus to Jaisalmer. This happened to be a luxury Volvo bus and it was a world of difference from my other buses. The other interesting fact was that there were other Western tourists on this bus. On all the others I was the only foreigner.
Jaisalmer is as far west as I am travelling, and the reason I chose to go there is that the next three days there is the Desert Festival.
This afternoon I was in time to see the mustache competition, and the Mr. Desert competition.
It's like a county fair, rides, even things like corn on the cob, cotton candy and popcorn in addition to Indian specialities.
It should be a lot of fun, tug-of-wars, camel races, camel decorating, and fireworks.

I am looking forward to the next few days.
By the way the hotel I am staying in lovely, clean, quiet, and the even the bed is comfortable.
Till later

No comments: