Friday, May 10, 2013

May 10, Day 3 in Wroclaw


My days have a fairly common routine. Up early, I am back to waking up at 6, make coffee, and eat breakfast. I usually get a pastry the day before. I spend the morning sightseeing, unless I am looking for a bus station, and then return to my room in the afternoon. By this time my feet are killing me. A shower is nice at that time. I also do laundry. I, foolishly brought only one short-sleeved shirt, so it gets washed almost every day. Around 6 I go out, for a walk, or to eat. I eat one big meal a day, either lunch or dinner. Meals are reasonable, and good.
I love people watching in Europe. Most people, in the older parts of town, live in apartments, and spend evenings walking. Young people don't have cars, so couples, to get some privacy, take walks. In both Krakow and Wroclaw there are lots of parks. In Wroclaw there is a lovely trail along the Odra River. It is always busy with walkers and cyclists.
My trip to Jawor was successful; it helps if you know where to catch the bus. Jawor was a disappointment; it was just a small town, without a nice center. Nothing compared to Swidnica. The church wasn't as nice, either. The outside was the same as the other wooden church. This isn't a surprise, because the same architect built them, a couple of years apart.the inside is quite different.
Another annoying feature was that a commentary, in Polish, of course, kept playing. Not the most peaceful way to enjoy the church. As I was about to leave the man at the desk asked if I was German. I said English, and he turned on the same commentary, but now in English. Actually a nice gesture. I did learn that the interior was decorated over several centuries. I didn't think they could do anything but the basic structure in one year; that's a stretch in itself.
An interesting note; I cannot explain why bus fares change. The price to get to Jawor was 12 sl, to come back was 8 sl. (One sl is about 35 cents). The same thing yesterday. I just smile.
After I got back to Wroclaw, about an hour's drive, I had a nice lunch on the main square, and then toured a couple of churches.
Tonight I plan to visit some fountains, where there is a light and sound show.
Tomorrow I am off to Torun, the birthplace of Nicolai Copernicus.
Ralf

No comments: