Wednesday, May 8, 2013

May 8, first day in Wroclaw


Today was a traveling day. I left at nine in the morning to take the bus from Krakow to Wroclaw. The scenery was very pleasant, nice farms, some forests, but flat terrain. I didnt realize that Wroclaw was known as Breslau, while it was underGerman rule. that nameis certainly familiar.
I got here around noon. I thought it would take me 20 minutes to walk to my hotel, it ended up over an hour. It didn't help that I asked directions when I was less than a block from the hotel, and I was told to go the other way, for 10 minutes. And today is quite warm, 25, and sunny. I did have a nice shower. I am actually staying in a hotel, and it's nice. I think the building was a religious institute at one time. The rooms look like cells, 12 foot ceilings. I even have a crucifix on the wall. I guess no naughty thoughts tonight.
I did get a chance to walk around the old town. The main square really surprised me. In my opinion it is much nicer than Krakow's, no matter what Rick Steve says. The buildings are very colourful, much like Prague. The town hall is a magnificent building. Lovely to look at while enjoying some gelato.
Tomorrow I am doing a day trip to the Peace Churches, near Wroclaw.  The lady at the tourist bureau was very good in finding the buses I have to take.
I have to say I am impressed with the way Polish women dress. Quite stylish, and the obesity epidemic has not arrived in Poland yet. I expected a lot of peasant women, wearing scarves, but most of the women would look quite good in any business district. Low cut blouses and dresses are popular. Nothing wrong with that.
Ralf

New contest
Nuns, in full habit, on bicycles.   4
Muslims.                                       0

No comments: