Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 7, my last day in Krakow

Today was my day to visit Wawel Castle. This castle sits 45 m above the city. (More uphill climbing), and was the royal castle from the 10th to the end of the 16 th century, when the court was moved to Warsaw. It is still the spiritual capital. All, except a few kings, Polish heros, and political leaders are buried at the cathedral in the castle. In that respect it is similar to Westminster Abbey, in London.
Poland has an interesting history. Its geography is mostly flat plains, so any Europeans wanting to invade Asia found Poland as the easiest way to go. Napoleon and Hitler are examples. Likewise any Asian invaders used it for going west. Tartars, Huns, and Russia are examples.
This means that Poland had its fair share of invaders.
At its height Poland was the largest country in Europe. On the other hand, for about 150 years, ending in 1918, there was no Poland. It was split amongst Austria, Prussia, and Russia. It was an entity until WW2, and, after the war was occupied by Russia, until they were expelled, late in the 20th century.
Poland is now part of the EU, although they don't use the Euro.
To get back to the castle; it was rebuilt, with the help of Poles from around the world, and is an impressive structure.
I toured the cathedral,and the State Rooms. Certainly very different than the royal palaces in Spain, Portugal, and France. Not nearly as ornate, but more severe and simple. That is not to say beautiful. I admired the wooden furniture, doors, and ceilings.
The cathedral is also interesting, in that 20 or so chapels were added to the original church, over the centuries. There is everything from Romanesque to Gothic, to Renaissance, to Baroque.
It somehow works.
There was a real bonus to the visit. One of the very rare works of Leonardo da Vinci, The Lady with an Ermine, is on display at the Wawel Castle. There was a special admission of 2 dollars, but it was well worth the price. I actually enjoyed it more than the Mona Lisa. It is larger, and you could get quite close; no glass cover. There was only one other person in the room when I viewed it.
A very special moment.
I must be getting old(er), but, by the time I got back to my room, 4 hours later, I was tired enough to have a nap.
While I was touring the castle, it was warm, 23, and sunny. When I woke up after my nap it was raining. Talk about timing.
It rained all afternoon, but stopped at 6.
I met a retired Winnipeg couple, who are doing a 4 month trip around Europe. One of the countries they visited was Romania, where they had a ten day with a Romanian guide, travelling through rural Romania. It so happens this guide, and her husband, are in Krakow, for a few days, and we all went outfox dinner together.
I don't know what happening to me, but the only meat I have had, since I arrived is the sausage I have eaten for lunch. All I had for supper today was chicken noodle soup, and a large salad. And a beer, of course. I also had a complimentary cherry vodka.
Alcohol, but no meat....what is happening to me?
Ralf
PS there are two things I haven't figured out yet with this blog; one is how to add a photo, and the second is how to view any comments that are made. So please excuse the fact you are not getting any replies.

No comments: